Sniffing the CAN-BUS with the SuperSniffer Software v1.xx

Re: Sniffing the CAN-BUS with the SuperSniffer Software

Postby MartinViljoen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:11 am

Cool glad you could make it work, Do you have the latest Sniffer Tool on your laptop ? (Does it have the TechTinker logo on the right inside the viewer ?)

If not you should download the later version cus i improved it and added some features which makes scanning and analyzing much easier.
MartinViljoen

Postby Sonnytkt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:07 pm

It's the V1.03, I can't see any logo so I suppose isn't the last one, where can I download it?
Sonnytkt

Postby MartinViljoen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 7:30 pm

Sonnytkt wrote:It's the V1.03, I can't see any logo so I suppose isn't the last one, where can I download it?

Ive re-uploaded the software into the first post, (download is right at the bottom of post 1)
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=18&p=20#p20

I forgot to update its version # so, it will still say V1.03, it will have techtinker logo embedded into it, that's how you will know its the latest.
Also in the mentioned post its got a brief tutorial on the features.

[EDIT] I noticed i never made a tutorial on all of the new features, but one main and very helpful feature is the "Auto Filter" Tools --> Options, the very last textbox allows you to set an auto filter which will drop off forever changing IDs once it reached the set value.

I.E Set the auto filter to 10 (Default is 1000)
The Idea is to connect every thing up let it monitor the can bus for say a minute or 2 so that the SuperSniffer can learn all of the incoming data.
Then press some buttons like central locking or switch on some lights, you should then easily see it in the list because most of the "Noise" would have been removed from the list that
has a messages count past 10. (Obviously if you press a specific button or switch more than 10 times it will also drop off and the filter needs to be reset)
MartinViljoen

Postby Sonnytkt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 8:49 pm

I have now downloaded it, and I hadn't got the latest version. Now I can see the new features and the logo. It's nice and the auto filter function seems great. I don't have the possibility to test it now since my Opel Corsa B is dreaming at CANBUS communication :lol: I have managed to make some great filtering using both arduino serial monitor and your supersniffer. I have first read all the ID's with your software and then added a filter into the arduino code on each ID and it was a loot easyer on the serial monitor to identify some data due to the rapid flow of the numbers scrolling and their suddent change when I pressed certain buttons or moved the car. I also managed to send some data to the car and I had a bit of fun :D
2015-01-11%2021.32.49.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonnytkt

Postby MartinViljoen » Mon Jan 12, 2015 9:52 pm

Dude That is Soooo Awesome!!!!
Did you make the speedo dials move ???????

Please could you tel me how you went about finding the IDs for the speedo ? That is something i have not yet figured out!
I imagine the speedo meter wont have a meaning full message or it would have an fixed ID but the message of the ID will change very often as the Dial in the speedo Move ?[/quote]
MartinViljoen

Postby Sonnytkt » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:38 pm

I was quite lucky because it was really easy to find. Like I was said I have filtered it into the arduino code and once the data flow started scrolling onto the screen with a single ID it was easy to spot any changing data
This was taken on a 2002 Ford Mondeo so I think the fact it's an old car (few things pass through Canbus) helped a lot into finding the right value:
FordON.JPG

The car engine was running idle at 900 rpm and standing still (0 km/h)
I saw that the number 13 was directly related to the rpm, directly proportional, one increases, the other one also increases and so 13 = 900 rpm. After I started moving I noticed the other number (0 in the photo) started increasing with the increasing speed so as 12/13 I was doing about 20/25 kph.
The arduino sending code that resulted the above photo was:
Code: Select all
unsigned char stmp[8] = {75, 0, 0, 0, 70, 0, 0, 255};
void loop()
{
    // send data:  id = 0x00, standrad flame, data len = 8, stmp: data buf
    CAN.sendMsgBuf(0x513, 0, 8, stmp);
    delay(5);                       // send data per 5ms
}

I have noticed that setting the parameters at 80 would run the dials to full scale and I didn't want to cause any damage so I set them lower. Still don't know what that 255 at the end means but I noticed it was quite present at idle so left it there. Since the engine was running and the real value of speed and rpm was still there I had to overwhelm it by setting the sending delay to a tiny 5 ms. I haven't got the chance to test this theory to the 2008 Toyota Yaris, since I'm now focusing on the Ford, but I just love doing this :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sonnytkt

Postby MartinViljoen » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:52 am

Thanks, I'm going to try it out,

I know of allot of people who replace engines with a bigger one, but after replacing the engine the new one does not make use of same Message IDs to communicate Speed & RPM
So they end up losing the functionality.
MartinViljoen

Postby Sonnytkt » Sat Jan 17, 2015 3:29 pm

Hi Martin, I have tried the new version today and didn't quite understand all the features in the options menu. Could you please post the older version, since I have deleted it and I need it to understand this newer version? Thanks again for all!
Sonnytkt

Postby MartinViljoen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:31 am

Sonnytkt wrote:Hi Martin, I have tried the new version today and didn't quite understand all the features in the options menu. Could you please post the older version, since I have deleted it and I need it to understand this newer version? Thanks again for all!

Hi , I also tried to use the software over the weekend but it didnt work very well :-( I think I messed up something.
I also deleted the exe, but I still have it on another laptop, will copy it for us then upload again.
MartinViljoen

Postby Sonnytkt » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:45 pm

Hi! ok, thanks a lot!
Sonnytkt

PreviousNext

Return to OBD2 & CAN-BUS Projects