Can-bus sniffer problem connection.

Can-bus sniffer problem connection.

Postby drspanky » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:37 pm

Howdy

i have just got the seeedstudio board a have tried connecting it to my car directly to the canbus wires behind the radio.

When i connect it i get the odd Bong and the dash goes funky, i have a Chrysler Pt cruiser with CanBus and a TIPM similar to one Martins one and my interface speed is set to 125kbps

so a few questions to start with
when connecting directly to the Can-H and Can-L on the board does the switch on the board need to be on or off?

if you connect the board without the ardiuino attached do you get a bong noise or does the car not react at all? mine glitches even without it connected was curious to know if the shield is faulty or i'm still not setting it up correctly.

i will do some more googling see if i can find if my internal network is at a different speed than 125kbps
2006/Facelift/MK2 Chrysler Pt Cruiser
drspanky

Re: Can-bus sniffer problem connection.

Postby drspanky » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:50 pm

Just had a thought could it be a problem with the termination resistor?

Edit
Cut the termination resistor after measuring the resistance of the radio and i have a different glitching the lights turn on and i get "no Bus" after a while. but this time i get the RX light flashing! and if i plug in the board without the arduino plugged in the car doesn't respond. so i think just now have speed set incorrectly.
drspanky

Postby MartinViljoen » Fri Dec 12, 2014 7:39 am

Hi , When i connect the wires the wrong way round i get a NO-BUS messages on my Jeep's Display cluster.
And when i have it set to the wrong speed i get all kinds of bongs, with lights coming one also the wipers move.

Maybe try different BUS Speeds,

As for the Termination resistor, you woulnt get any bongs it would simply not work.
MartinViljoen

Postby drspanky » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:50 pm

ahhh cool i did get a no bus when playing last night and my head lights turn on as well depending what way round i connected it.

With the termination resistor connected the cluster flips out (even when unplugged from the arduino) once i cut the resistor the car didn't ever react when it was connected so i think it needs to be cut on my setup.

i have a hunch it need to connect at somewhere around 80kbps, i've seen a video of someone playing with a chrysler radio like mine around that speed.

i will try some different speed this evening.

Thx for the reply.
drspanky

Return to OBD2 & CAN-BUS Projects